The Best Car Donation programs in the San Francisco Bay Area.
Sometimes you need to just get rid of your used car hassle free and get a tax write off. The best way to do this is to donate your car to a local charity and Oakland, California has plenty of those in need of your help but you get to choose the charity of your choice. You can pick from anywhere in the Bay Area or even elsewhere in the state of California. In order to donate your car to a local Oakland, CA charity for a tax write off you’ll need to find a good trustworthy local non profit you can stand behind.
Once you choose a donation place you will need to have the cars title per California state law if it is newer than 10 years old.
You can also donate a truck, trailer, tractor, hybrid, motorcycle, motor scooter, van, SUV, motor home, RV, boat, construction equipment like bulldozers, off road vehicle, or personal watercraft like a Jet Ski. Pretty much any type of vehicle. You can even donate a plane for local charity and a tax write off! You know, if you have an extra airplane sitting around in an old hanger. Donate it!
The car donation service will come and pick your car up directly from your house at no charge. In fact you will get money back on your taxes for donating to charity. Everyone could use a tax deduction.
You can help build cheap affordable homes by donating your car to Habitat For Humanity of Oakland.
You can help out the lovely animals of the Oakland Zoo with your tax write off.
And of course you can donate to those who need it most, professional athletes. Donate to the Oakland A’s baseball team.
Most of these services will auction off your vehicle and send you a receipt for your tax write off donation. Even if your automobile is not working they will come and tow it for you. Just do it.
Best Bay Area Used Car Donation Tips:
1) Choose a charity and make sure they accept automobile donations. Not all local non profits accept vehicle donations.
2) A lot of charities use middle men who take as much as 90% of the auctions worth for themselves so try to find a good charity that accepts the automobile themselves and uses it or sells it themselves for full value. Some use middle men who auction the car off and can leave as little as $45 for the charity you selected. This is a scam if you ask me so do your research.
3) If your vehicle is in good running condition you might as well drive it directly to the charity you selected to save them on pick up cost and labor.
4) If you do have to use a middleman because your charity doesn’t have the means to auction the donated automobile themselves, then make sure you find out how much of the selling price is actually going to the charity. If the for profit middleman is ripping them off, you’re better off finding a better charity where your money will go to better use. Let’s face it, if some charity is only taking $45 of that then they may very well be connected to the person managing the donation and running a scam overall.
5) Be sure to transfer the car over to the charity properly! If they do not fill out the title, the car will still be in your name and can acquire parking tickets and more in your name. So if they do not want to fill out the title, don’t do it. Find another charity.
6) Make sure the charity CAN receive tax deductions because if they are not properly setup, you can not write off the donation.
7) Make sure you get a receipt for your donation.